GB will play Germany again for 5th/6th place after beating Korea 4-3

Owen G Glenn Men’s FIH Champions Trophy
Auckland, New Zealand
Saturday 10 December 2011


James Tindall 47,66 (F,F)                      
Ashley Jackson 60 (PC)            
Mark Pearn 68 (F)                                           

KOREA 3 (1)

You Hyo-Sik 31 (F)                   
Seo Jong-Ho 45 (F)                  
Nam Hyun-Woo 67 (PS)            

A strong second half showing saw Great Britain’s men turn around a two goal deficit to beat Korea 4-3 and earn their place in Sunday’s fifth place playoff against Germany at the Champions Trophy in Auckland.

In truth it was a controlled and capable performance from Great Britain, who refused to panic after finding themselves behind against the run of play.  There was another milestone as Great Britain’s Scottish defender Niall Stott, the former Dundee Wanderers and Kelburne player now at East Grinstead, passed 200 appearances for GB and his home nation.

Having enjoyed the better of the opening spell, Great Britain fell 1-0 down to You Hyo-Sik’s close range goal four minutes before the break.  The Korean supplied the final touch just a metre out from goal to divert a cross from the right by Kim Young-Jin.

And despite Great Britain winning a series of three penalty corners, all of which required Korean intervention to keep them out, it was the sixth ranked Asians who extended their lead ten minutes into the second period with another close range deflection from Seo Hong-Yo.

Knowing a draw would be enough to seal a place in the fifth place playoff, Great Britain remained calm as they worked their way back into contention.  In the 47th minute Surbiton forward James Tindall applied the final touch to captain Barry Middleton’s cross from the right to half the deficit.  And following good work from Reading’s Iain Mackay just before the hour mark, Great Britain were awarded a penalty corner, which Ashley Jackson scored inside the right post with the aid of a deflection off a defender’s stick on the goal line to make it 2-2.

The goal put Great Britain in command and with two Koreans serving yellow card suspensions Tindall struck again to put GB 3-2 ahead with four minutes remaining.  After Jackson found him in space, the 28 year old entered the circle on the left before firing a shot through goalkeeper Kim Jae-Hyeon at his near post. 

But less than a minute later Korea equalised from the penalty spot.  The penalty stroke was awarded for a foul on Cho Suk-Hoon as he shaped to shoot having run into the circle.  Great Britain’s appeal to the video umpire was based on a strong belief the Korean had controlled the ball with his body before entering the circle but the video umpire felt the replays were inconclusive and the decision stood.  Nam Hyun-Woo send Cannock goalkeeper James Fair the wrong way to make it 3-3 but there was still time for Great Britain to find the winning goal.  As Great Britain broke upfield at pace, a mix-up in the Korean defence allowed East Grinstead’s Mark Pearn the time and space to control the ball at the back post before slotting home unpressured to seal the victory.

Speaking afterwards, Great Britain Head Coach Jason Lee reiterated his previous comments regarding Great Britain’s preparation going into the tournament:  “We haven’t prepared to peak at this event,” he said.  “I thought we did well to grind out the result after going behind.  Physically we’re not at our best at this tournament but I’m pleased we’re still able to get these results.”

Andy Halliday, Team Manager, added: “We’ve shown a lot of character coming from behind to win and we’re set up with a rematch with Germany.  There was no panic out there, the guys remained calm and we looked more solid.  Harry Martin had another strong game for us today, which is very pleasing in his first Champions Trophy.”

The result means that Great Britain will now play Germany for fifth place.  A British victory would see GB finish the Champions Trophy in the same position in which they were ranked coming into the tournament.  That match takes place at 00:05 GMT Sunday (13:05 local time).  Victory over Germany would ensure participation for England, Great Britain’s ‘nominated country’, in the 2012 edition of the Champions Trophy.

Great Britain Squad v Korea

Name (Club) Position


James Fair (Cannock) Goalkeeper

Ken Forbes (Surbiton) Defender

Ben Hawes (Wimbledon) Defender

Iain Lewers (East Grinstead) Defender

Richard Mantell (Reading) Defender

Ashley Jackson (East Grinstead) Midfielder

Glenn Kirkham (East Grinstead) Midfielder

Barry Middleton (East Grinstead) Midfielder/Forward

James Tindall (Surbiton) Forward

Mark Gleghorne (East Grinstead) Forward

Mark Pearn (East Grinstead) Forward