Herbert double keeps England’s Champions Trophy hopes alive

Two goals from Leicester’s Rebecca Herbert earned England a 2-2 draw with Korea at the 2011 Champions Trophy in Amsterdam. Herbert also had a chance to win the match in the last minute but drew a brilliant save out of Moon Young Hui.

[img_assist|nid=2461|title=Leicester double act|desc=Rebecca Herbert (right) scores England’s opener after a one-two with Hannah Macleod (left) (c) Andy Smith|link=node|align=right|width=275|height=194]Herbert’s first strike  came in the 23m with a snap-shot high into the net to put England 1-0 up. England showed much more attacking enterprise than in yesterday’s 1-0 loss to Argentina, winning a corner in the first minute (saved from Christa Cullen shot) and Alex Danson also forcing a save early.

The good work of the first half was undone in the 39th when Cullen was foxed by Kin Jon Eun who found Kim Dae Rae in front of goal. Another Leicester star Maddie Hinch almost pulled off a brilliant stick save, but the ball dribbled over the line. Hinch produced another fine save – low stick side from a Korean PC that could have equalised after the half-time hooter had blown.

Korea took the lead with Kim Dae Rae’s second in the 59th minute – put in from 5m this was another attack England had ample opportunity to snuff out.

England’s equaliser came in the 64th minute when Ashleigh Ball found Helen Richardson making a B-line for goal. Richardson’s shot rebounded off a charging Moon  in the Korean net for Herbert to flick home.

A disallowed Korean ‘goa’l (on video referral) in the 69th minute kept things tense. Then in the dying seconds a Cullen cross-field hit found Herbert with time and space at the top left of the circle. Herbert said she “hedged her bets” by shooting for the far post where Alex Danson was lurking, but the Korean keeper turned the ball wide. “It was a good save, but they are perfectly entitled to make a good save,” she said.

Coach Danny Keey was pleased with his side’s efforts, especially the fightback from 2-1 down. The game came down to who took there chances in the second half. “Both sides went for it, which is the way it should be,” he said.

“Our first half was very very good, I thought. I’m very happy with the way we moved on from yesterday with the more positive way in which we used the ball in attack.”

He said Maddie Hinch was outstanding in goal. And there was now competition with Beth Storry for the goalkeeper slot. “I am really happy to be in that position,” he said.