Scotland and Wales join the winners list as England falter

Results October 7th
Scotland 6 Trinidad & Tobago 1 (women)
Wales 2 Malaysia 1 (women)
England 1 Canada 1 (men)
India 2 Australia 5 (men)

Canada held one of the tournament’s favourites England to a draw in the men’s Commonwealth Games hockey competition on Thursday.
The Canadians took an early lead when Iain Smythe brilliantly turned in a cross from the right in the 13th minute. The England players protested enthusiastically, but there are no video appeals in Delhi and, in any case, the replay showed an excellent piece of finishing by Smythe.
“It was an exciting moment. It’s always nice to be up 1-0, especially against a great England side,” said the 25-year-old Vancouver Hawks striker. “We are thrilled to still be in contention in this competition. Canada’s dream is still alive.”
It took an increasingly frustrated England until the 50th minute to equalise – Simon Mantell (pictured) deflecting home at the near post. The Canadians stacked the defence and held on for a well-deserved draw.
Antoni Kindler had a fine game in goal for Canada who successfully blunted England’s dangerous Ashley Jackson-led penalty corner routine.
The loss was not a catastrophic one for England with only New Zeland having recorded two wins in the group. But the pressure is now on to win back-to-back games against the Blacksticks on Saturday and the South Africans on Sunday.

Scotland’s women were expected to turn over Trinidad and Tobago who had already leaked 23 goals in two matches. The Scots put in an assured performance, with Nikki Kidd scoring two excellent corners and Alison Bell two field goals. Linda Clement and Holly Cram netted field goals. A late field goal from Charlene Williams took away some of the gloss from an otherwise good all-round performance.
Scotland`s last pool match is against Australia tomorrow (Friday).
Wales matched Scotland in recording their first victory in New Delhi, with a 2-1 win over Malaysia. The first goal for Wales came in the 24th minute through a penalty stroke struck home by Leah Wilkinson. Malaysian captain Nadia Rahman Abdul equalised, when she slammed home a penalty corner in the 39th minute. With play flowing from end-to-end, it took a penalty corner conversion to Claire Lowry to break the deadlock.